Saturday, May 4, 2019

1944 Graduates Receive Congrats from Downtown

The Graduation of Sutton High Class of 1944 received congratulations from many Sutton businesses providing us with a decent cross section to the Sutton business picture that year.

Friday, May 3, 2019

From the "More things change, the more they stay the same" department:

For about 15 years, I had varying degrees of responsibility for disaster planning in major corporations in the San Francisco Bay Area. This was during the time of the introduction of the cell phone but while land line phone service was still predominate.

The problem described here by Art Wach in 1944 is exactly the same problem we worried and fretted about in the 1980's and 1990's in Northern California.

Though there are numerous forms of emergency conditions in both localized and widespread areas, the ability to communicate to coordinate emergency responses is critical. We practiced procedures and had the opportunities to stress our communications systems, microwave cell towers and central telephone exchanges, for real (Loma Prieta Earthquake, October 17, 1989, 5:04 p.m. Pacific time comes to mind.)

There were regular public service announcements and corporate training sessions to drive home the concepts of  communications discipline during emergencies to adults and children. Just like Art Wach's public service ad in Sutton in 1944.

May 1944 Editorial Thoughts of Ronald Furse

From the May 11, 1944 issue of The Sutton News

Editor Ronald Furse occasionally took the time to ponder, or pontificate in his weekly newspaper around 75 years ago. His thoughts illuminate his world for us.

1944 Clay County track meet results

Sutton won the Clay County track meet in 1944 - 75 years ago. This Sutton News article gave a good accounting of the action.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Sutton High School building 1886-1912

An earlier two-story high school building in Sutton burned in 1886. This building is cited as the second high school in town. A photo from the other side of the building is in the alumni directory. I'd not seen this shot before I found it in the May 4, 1994 issue of The Clay County News.

This building served District #2 from 1886 until 1912 when the large brick school house was built on the same site.

1919 Sutton High Junior Class Play Bill

The Sutton High Class of 1920 gave this as their Junior Class Play in the spring of 1919.

1919 Advertisements

This product on the market in 1919 claimed to take the place of chains for car tires. Anyone know what this was all about?

This Harvard business was clearly working its way out of the horse business into the mechanized world.

This early 1919 vacuum cleaner looks amazingly like a product you might find today.

Museum Blog Statistics

Our website host Blogger, a service of Google provides an accounting of our exposure and audience. We are a passive site engaging in no advertising with a target audience of people interested in the small Nebraska town of Sutton and its history.

As of April 30, 2019 we have had a total of 175,975 pageviews over our lifetime of about 10 years. We currently have about 2,500 pageviews a month.

We also receive an insight into where our pageviews come from. During the last month, our stats are:

United States       1211 Pageviews

Canada                   176

Belgium                  161

Russia                     120

Japan                        85

Brazil                        59

Ecuador                    23

Indonesia                  21

France                      20

Our all-time audience is led by the United States, of course, followed by Russia, France, Germany, Ukraine, South Korea, China, Poland, UK and Canada

The Techie stats are: leading OS is Windows with 65% followed by Linus at 11 - Mac is 8%. The leading browser is Chrome with 36%, Explorer has 27% followed by Firefox, Safari and BingPreview....

New Drive-In by the Park - 1969 - to become the Sweet Treat

The new business in town in April 1969 was this Drive-In across the street from the park and the swimming pool.

Later to become The Sweet Treat.

Prince Albert Tobacco AD

Tobacco advertising used to be a bid part of radio and TV advertising as well as print media.

A link below goes to a site of vintage Prince Albert ads.

A silly and overused practical joke was to call a retailer and ask, "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" If the retailer replied in the affirmative, the jokester came back with, "Well, you better let him out."

Yeah dumb...

A Collection of Vintage Prince Albert Advertisements. 

1969 - George Bros & Skyliner under new management

The April 24, 1969 issue of The Clay County News had these two ads announcing that both the filling station and restaurant at what had been Dan's 66 were under new management.

Obituary of Francis M. Brown - 1919

1944 County Music Festival

This item appeared in The Sutton News in April 1944

Miler & Paine Ad

Out of town stores advertised in county papers, back in the day. This ad from 1919 is by Miller & Paine at 13th & O Streets in Lincoln. This ad appeared in the Harvard Courier.

Miller & Paine played "Avis" to Gold & Co.'s "Hertz" during much of their lifetimes. 

(Perhaps the reference is lost on many. In the early car rental days, Hertz was the dominate player with Avis generally bringing up the 2nd place. But Avis weaponized their position with a continuing ad campaign claiming that "We try harder.")

Miller & Paine was the first department store in Lincoln founded in 1880. It was purchased by Dillard's in 1988 when there were three stores: downtown Lincoln, Gateway shopping center and Conestoga Mall in Grand Island. 

Perhaps the only remaining Miller & Paine product is their trademark cinnamon rolls from their basement lunch counter and fifth floor Tea Room. The rights to that recipe was purchased by Sutton-connected Runza in 2007.

And speaking of "Sutton-connected":

This Gold & Co. ad appeared in The Clay County Patriot Newspaper in Clay Center though they often advertised in Sutton papers. William Gold, then known as "Billy" operated his first retail store in downtown Sutton until 1890 when he moved to Lincoln to open a store that became the largest Lincoln department store.


Just like Miller & Paine, Gold & Co. fell prey to retail consolidation merging with Brandeis of Omaha in 1964 and disappearing in 1980.