The name of J. C. Merrill is one of four names of Sutton pioneers that appear on the upper face of the Central Block in the southwest quadrant of downtown Sutton.
John C. Merrill was born in Fulton County, Ohio on November 19, 1843; his parents had come from Maine. John and his wife Hattie arrived in Sutton in May, 1871 and lived here until moving to Lincoln.
John and his brother Russell were veterans of the 130th Ohio Infantry Regiment. They jointly ran a merchandising store in Sutton for several years.
Corporal John C. Merrill died on January 7, 1932 and is buried in Wyuka Cemetery in Lincoln. His wife Hattie (1841-1922) is buried beside him.
|J. C. Merrill|
|Mrs. Hattie Merrill|
|Biography of J. C. Merrill from The Sutton Register||in 1894|
|J. C. Merrill's name in Downtown Sutton, etched in stone.|